Gary E. Kerr
- Attorney, 1974
Springfield attorney Gary E. Kerr is committed to providing clients competent and affordable legal services in the areas of school law, business, real estate, estate planning and family law. He has successfully represented individuals, school districts, special education cooperatives, educational, and not-for-profit businesses in administrative hearings and in State and Federal Courts. Attorney Kerr is admitted to practice in state courts in Illinois and the federal courts, including: the U.S. Supreme Court, 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, and U.S. District Court in the Central and Southern Districts of Illinois.
After earning his Juris Doctor Degree from Northwestern University and his B.A. in Political Science with a Certificate in Urban Affairs from Northern Illinois University, he started his career in the Office of State Superintendent of Public Instruction as an Administrative Assistant and subsequently became an Assistant Legal Advisor for the Illinois State Board of Education. Prior to establishing the Law office of Gary E. Kerr Ltd, he served as Special Counsel to the Comptroller of Illinois.
In addition to his private law practice Attorney Kerr has also been an adjunct faculty member teaching Educational Law at Sangamon State University, now known as the University of Illinois at Springfield. He has also taught the law of Business Organization in the Paralegal Program of Robert Morris College, Springfield, Illinois.
Attorney Kerr also possesses hands-on business experience as the former President of Kerr Products Inc., which was an automotive accessories manufacturing company with sales distribution throughout the United States and Japan.
His accomplishments as a lawyer include professional recognition and memberships in professional associations. Attorney Kerr has also conducted numerous seminars on special needs trusts and on special education, encompassing issues related to ethics, student discipline, family rights, privacy, and search and seizure for the National Business Institute, Inc, and Lorman Education Services. Mr. Kerr is also the author of WWII My Father's Journey.
Areas of Practice
- School Law
- Elder Law
- Family Law
- Business & Commercial Law
- Social Security -- Disability
- Real Estate
- Estate Planning
- Illinois, 1974
- U.S. Federal Court, 1982
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- Northwestern University School of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D. - 1973
- Northern Illinois University, De Kalb, Illinois
- B.A. - 1970
- Honors: High Honors
- WWII My Father’s Journey: Friendship – War - Romance, 2020
- Sangamon Area Special Education District
- Illinois School Psychologists Association
- Community Action Partnership of Central Illinois
- Seminars for the National Business Institute, Inc., Lorman Education Services
- Taught Educational Law at Sangamon State University which is now known as the University of Illinois at Springfield
- Business Organization - Paralegal Program, Robert Morris College, Springfield, IL
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Sangamon County Bar Association, Member, 1974
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member, 1974
- Sangamon Valley Estate Planning Council, member, 09/2012 to Present
- Member of St. Paul’s Cathedral in Springfield and former member of the Chapter Governing Board and Finance Committee of the Cathedral Trustee of the Canterbury House Trust Fund of St. Paul’s Cathedral , Present
- Omicron Delta Kappa